Thursday, November 22, 2007

Stay Back

AF: "Should I assign this task to you or chong yong?"
YP: "Chong Yong, he can stay back and do since he always leave early."
CY: "........"

I know it was my fault, i told YP i am ok to stay back to get my works done in time. That is because my definition of "stay back" and her definition of "stay back" is different. For me, i am willing to fix unexpected issue as soon as possible and if it requires me to work late i am fine. Just like what happened when ELA phase 1 went live, i worked until 9pm for 2 weeks to fix the daily reported bugs. I never complained a thing because i know these works need to be done because the users are using the system.

Unfortunately this is not what's happening now. In normal days, i hope that the tasks assigned and the time given to complete it is realistic. When i am working, i give 100% of my efforts. I don't browse, chat or do anything personal. Since i joined this new project, normally i leave work at 6.30-7.00, was it too early?

Talk about coding, I believe i have the right attitude. I spent all my working time to code carefully and check every procedure carefully to make sure the quality of my work is ok. What is the point to work until 12am everyday if i use all the time to browse net, read forum, chatting or sleep?

The perception "Work late = good employee" just doesn't make sense to me. Everyday i have to travel 2 hours and the time left for myself is very little. Put yourself on other's shoe and you will get more helps when you need it. When work late is calculated to complete the project in time, you've made me hate my job.

9 comments:

min said...

Totally agree!! Can understand that very much. For my own opinion, I feel that working in most of the malaysia (or asean?? or chinese??) companies, they all are having the same problems:
1) Don't know how to appreciate their staffs
2) Don't know how to respect their staffs
This is one of the thing I don't like in Malaysia..

Anonymous said...

It's up to you to make your wise decision. People pick good and fresh food to eat and throw away rotten food. You will only get sick if you continue to eat the rotten food. Just be yourself, you don't have to be what people want you to be. Do what you think is right for you and don't have to bother what others think about you.

man7drake said...

Ohh~~

I truly understand your problem here. You see, our working culture here in Malaysia is.. You stay back, you're hardworking. You leave early, you're not committed to your job. For some occasion where the task requires you to stay back, it is understandable.

Quote from my boss.. As long as you done with the task in your hand, you're free to go.

p/s - want join or not? (You get my meaning..:P)

man7drake said...

min,

Mind if I add few points..

3) Work at ungodly hours
4) Last minute request.. the one where you're prepared to leave and the next minute you find yourself rushing another last minute task

:)

eehung said...

OMG, now only I realised that there are extremely 2 different culture in our company!! (No~~~~~)

I always feel very grateful because non of the points (1-4) that mentioned above are exist since I work in this company (or I should say TEAM now?). If there is any, it would be only cause by the fussy client.

Is it possible to get some advices from the biggest man? I always admire him in very good people management skill. I guess he won't want this stupid culture ruin the whole company spirit.

memo, come back-lar. we always love you de.

ChongYOng said...

Please do not discuss this with bosses, i don't wish to bring unnecessary troubles to other ppl.

In fact it is not that serious la. Come to think of it, it is not easy to manage so many employees. I am alright here, dun worry~

Thanks for your concerns, really appreciate it.

eehung said...

memo no worries, i will not be that big mouth to spread this out. (just share with you my thought only.) no matter what, we always support you. COME BACK LAR, want onot? haha..

cheer up. :)

man7drake said...

memo, I won't bring this up to boss le... but sometimes you need to let your boss know what you're thinking now so that you won't continue to "sink" or something which makes you to lose motivation to work.

=P

min said...

man7drake: oh sure.. you have added beautifully.. hehe..
memo: that's why when you first joined the team, I asked if you were sure you wanted to change to this group? You should have gone back to your fire planet before late.. remember?? so think twice la..